Tuesday, October 27, 2015

Merlin, Fiction verses well Fiction

This post may contain spoilers for anyone who has not yet viewed the first episode of Merlin

Sorry for the late post. The other day, I watched the first episode of BBC's Merlin. As I watched the first episode I found myself comparing the characters to how they are portrayed in the literature.

Uther Pendragon, I had hope for the show when they introduced the King as Uther Pendragon, a name I immediately recognized from the Prose Merlin. I'm not sure what to make of King Uther. I thought he was kind of an idiot  in the Prose Merlin and the show reinforced these beliefs. He just can't take a hint. Really, I could go on talking about Uther for the rest of this post but then we'd never get to Prince Arthur or even Merlin (who is pretty important to the show).

Merlin: In the Prose, Merlin we read for class on Monday, Merlin was old. When I hear the word Merlin I often think of that old guy from Disney's Sword and the Stone, you know, the one with the really long white beard, who speaks in riddles.  However, I was surprised to find that in the show Merlin is young and fairly sane. I found Merlin a lot more likeable in the show than in the Prose, Merlin. Maybe, it's because in Monday's literature Merlin was a creepy old guy trying to as Dr. MB put it deflower a fifteen year old girl. Yeah Merlin has some issues in the show like fighting Prince Arthur (or trying to at least, Merlin was totally cheating not that I felt bad for the prince). Speaking of the Prince...

Prince Arthur: As soon as this jerk entered the scene throwing knives and all in all being a jackass, I found myself silently hoping that it wasn't the King Arthur of legend. Of course, BBC immediately responded by introducing the character as Prince Arthur. I might be a little rusty on my Arthurian stories but isn't King Arthur supposed to be a great guy who is dealt a really bad hand when his wife Guinevere, cheats on his with his best friend Sir Lancelot? Because,  in the show, I'm feeling more bad for Guinevere for eventually having to be married to this jerk. Arthur seems to be this larger than life character who is really just... as Merlin so rightly put it (multiple times)... a prat.

Guinevere: I do not know much about Queen Guinevere as according to legend. However, the show kept implying that she had a thing for Merlin which really confused me. Also, Guinevere more or less came from lower means than what I'd expected of the future Queen of Camelot. It seems to me that the show further implied for Lady Morgana to serve as Prince Arthur's love interest in the show. This whole Guinevere part of the show just has me baffled but she's a likeable enough character.

Lastly, the random witch: At the very being of the episode I felt really bad for the witch, she had just seen her son beheaded. I didn't realize the role she would play in the episode until she vanished in a pile of leaves (?) and then all I could think was shit, she's a witch. Well damn. I still felt bad for her, as creepy as she was. Then she killed that singer and I started getting really really bad vibes from her. At this point I wondered why the show would portray witches in the light that they did. I mean lets face it, Arthur may be the most hated character in the episode but she takes second place pretty easily on creepiness alone. I have spent the whole semester feeling sorry for witches or those accused at least and here is a perfect example of what everyone is so afraid of.

Also, there is a dragon... a talking dragon (wtf?) I felt the dragon kind of came out of no where.

No shit, you're a freaking talking dragon, how could anyone forget you?

3 comments:

  1. First off, your post is so sarcastic and I love it. But I agree with all you said. Arthur reminds me of a greedy baby who wants his way. And I didn't get the witch either, but I guess they have to introduce witch craft some how. I thought Merlin was adorable in his dorky ways. But the show was polar opposite to the readings. I didn't know that Merlin had telekinesis powers. Crazy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with both of you guys! Merlin is so different in the show than what I imagined--especially considering the whole hairy baby and old, socerery looking wizard guy with a long white beard and pointy hat thing we have had going on thus far. Merlin sort of blends in on the show, which is interesting to me.

    My knowledge of all of the characters you mentioned, Sarah, is super limited, though, so I wanted to say "thanks girl!" for giving me a little bit of a run down! haha

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also agree with all of you, although my knowledge of Arthurian legends is, idk intermediate, I also think these characters in Merlin are super different than they are usually depicted. From just watching the first episode I feel the director is very much taking liberties and twisting everyone's ideas of every person in Arthurian legends around. Guinevere is usually always linked with Arthur and for some reason she has a thing with Merlin? Also Merlin (who appears weak and tiny not in the appearance of an all powerful wizard) does not have a good relationship with his protege. And Merlin is suppose to be mentor, but becomes a peer. Also Arthur usually doesn't like Morgana? They have an incestuus child but that is usually through some trick on the sorceress herself. But I have no idea about the dragon....nothing. But I want to keep watching now to see how they portray the Knights of the Round table. I almost always enjoy Gawain as a character in the legends. Also Lancelot? And how Merlin will be linked with them since he is the protagonist and everything.....

    ReplyDelete