Sunday, November 8, 2015

I dwell in the realm of disappointment.

I have to say I am mildly disappointed with the ending of "The Tempest." There was no big fight scene or dramatic twist. It wrapped up with a nice bow making it boring and predictable. What the heck Shakespeare? I thought a death might occur or some plot twist would say this was all a dream of Prospero’s. Nope. My grief over this matter will last sometime, but alas, I must find the strength to continue…


 What threw me off the most is how easily Prospero gains back his dukedom. Antonio did not even attempt to fight Prospero for the dukedom. He just let the king give Prospero his position back after ‘saving’ is son. I find this to be too easy and submissive. Shouldn’t there have been a fight between Antonio and Prospero? If I were Antonio, I wouldn’t just let my older brother claim what I fought to steal from him the first place. I would be furious and defend my position as Duke even if it’s not rightfully mine.

Besides the less than dramatic ending, I am surprised by Prospero saying he would stop using magic after regaining his dukedom. Why would he? I am not quite sure I understand. It is clear in Act 5 Scene 1 when he says, “I’ll break my staff, / Bury it certain fathoms in the earth, / And deeper than dud ever plummet sound/ I’ll drown my book” (ll. 63-65). Is Prospero done with magic simply because he does not need it anymore? Or is there another reason he would willingly give up the magic?

I wonder if Prospero realizes the reason he got into this mess in the first place is because of his obsession with magic. It became the ruling force over his life when he was the duke. Instead of watching over his people, Prospero buried himself in books, leaving his position vulnerable to being usurped by his brother. After living on this desolate island for years, I’d hope Prospero acknowledges how and why he came to live there. It was not simply because his brother was power hungry, but the fact Prospero neglected his duties as the duke.

When Prospero receives his position back, I suppose there is no longer a need for him to use magic. He has gotten what he wanted and will return to Milan with his daughter. Not only has Prospero improved his position by having his daughter marry the king’s son, but he returns to the place he loves with a better insight into how his behavior should change. I hope that Prospero will not return to his old ways of hiding himself away. As we all know, with great power comes great responsibility. 


4 comments:

  1. NOO!!! You did not put Uncle Ben in this. This was such as sad part of the movie because I knew what happened next. Yes Prospero gained his Dukedom back, but i think it is perfectly understandable why it was so easy, Alonso wanted his son back and was willing to do anything to make that happen. if it means making one man a Duke then so be it. However, I completely agree with the part about expecting a fight between Prospero and Antonio. I thought Antonio would have at least objected to the idea but he didn't do anything. After class on monday i now have a small sense of why Prospero would give up his art when he becomes duke. I for one think it shows he is moving on froma part of his life and moving on to new things. I also think that it shows that he no longer desires to have it since his daughter is married, he is duke, and he is going back near people. although i for one would realy prefer to keep poweres if i had them especially if they made me omnipotent and omniscient.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really want like a Tempest Part 2 to see how it is like for Miranda when she gets back to Milan, and has to transition to being a normal human and not a person who is sort of shielding from anything that her father didn't want her to see. She might even realize that this boy who she loves isn't the only boy on earth! *gasp*

    anyways, i totally get where you are coming from, being sort of dissatisfied with the ending: where is the big fight?! But, on the other hand, it can be sort of refreshing, in a sense. Someone actually learned there lesson and evolved as a person, and instead of being stubborn, they resolved to set aside there differences. BUT, i guess it is easy to say that Prospero evolved when he is getting his way in the long run.... so, i guess i sort of don't know.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really want like a Tempest Part 2 to see how it is like for Miranda when she gets back to Milan, and has to transition to being a normal human and not a person who is sort of shielding from anything that her father didn't want her to see. She might even realize that this boy who she loves isn't the only boy on earth! *gasp*

    anyways, i totally get where you are coming from, being sort of dissatisfied with the ending: where is the big fight?! But, on the other hand, it can be sort of refreshing, in a sense. Someone actually learned there lesson and evolved as a person, and instead of being stubborn, they resolved to set aside there differences. BUT, i guess it is easy to say that Prospero evolved when he is getting his way in the long run.... so, i guess i sort of don't know.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The ending was not what I was expecting either. All of the Shakespeare plays I have read have been tragedies, so I was not suspecting such a quiet ending. I can see Nicole's point in it being sort of refreshing though. I also like the idea of a Tempest 2. I think it would be interesting to find out what happens.

    ReplyDelete