Monday, November 16, 2015



The Grimmest Of Tales
I’ve always wanted to read Grimm’s Fairy Tales but have never gotten an opportunity until now.  Some of them are interesting and I have heard as a kid.  The one that surprised me the most was Little Red Riding Hood.  The one version I was told when I was a kid was very tame compared to the one we read in class.  First off Little Red Riding Hood never even met the wolf on the path on the way to her grandma’s house.  There was no huntsmen, didn’t know what happened to grandma, and Little Red Riding Hood got away from the wolf.  The part that really caught me off guard was the huntsman shooting the wolf in the shoulder, eviscerating the wolf to pull out the undigested Little Red Riding Hood and Grandmother.  Then to have Little Red Riding Hood put rocks in his belly and sew him back together, just to have the wolf run off the bleed to death internally.

One of the stories I really enjoyed was The Cat and the Mouse Set Up House.  I was laughing when the cat said was saying the kittens were named Top Off, Half Gone, All Gone, since that was the status of how much fat was left every time the cat said he was going to be the godfather of a kitten.  The story to me made me think of Tom and Jerry, except the cat ends up actually getting the mouse.  Having the cat as in the story as a cunning character and the mouse eventually figuring out what was going on did remind me of the cartoon but again, the cat actually got the mouse.


The Three Leaves Snake was also one of my favorites.  I liked the ending, the story was wrapped up in a nice neat little bow.  The man stuck to his word but revived his wife because he either didn’t want to die or actually loved her, since he agreed to the terms it implies he loved her, I think.  The wife gets revived doesn’t love her husband, cheats on him, tries to kill him but ends being killed for her treachery.  Everyone got what they deserved, no loose ends, hearts are broken but when I think of Grimm’s Fairy Tales that’s kind of what I expect.

2 comments:

  1. I liked the Three leaves snakes as well. I thought it was a very interesting story. Reading the story, I instantly thought that when people come back to life they are never the same. It is a classic idea. Death changes you. I do think that some part of her actions were because she was no longer herself in retrospect. I also think it would be an even interesting story if the woman was told to stay married to the guy and do all his biddings. I thought death by a boat with holes was a quick fix. I think that in real life we tend to pay for what we did in longer forms of punishment rather than quick punishments.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I kind of sympathize with the woman in Three Snake Leaves because dying twice is pretty rough, but she kind of established herself as a bad person from the start. "I'm so pretty and amazing that if someone wants to marry me they have to promise to die with me, because if they REALLY love me they won't be able to live without me."

    It really sets her up as a self-centered dirtbag in my opinion. That's why I didn't feel bad when she got her second death. Regardless of how she felt her husband DID revive her. I won't talk about his motives and whether he did it out of love or a desperate need to preserve his own life, because that's a different conversation altogether.

    He did some cool stuff for her and she responded by trying to murder him in his sleep so she can could continue onwards with Mr. Captain. Run away from him with the captain and leave him behind at home or something, but don't KILL HIM. Jeez.

    ReplyDelete