Monday, November 9, 2015

The Characters of the Tempest Walk into a Bar

I don't know where to begin. The clowns of the play Stephano and Trinculo kept me laughing as did drunk Caliban. Prospero's controlling nature still unnerves me and Miranda's innocence is touching. Acts IV and V of this play had me rooting for Miranda and Ferdinand and only them. While I don't dislike Stephano and Trinculo, I have a difficult time fully accepting them as anything but drunkards at this point. I have often wondered how powerful Caliban would be if he was sober. Prospero seems to know everything. It is this factor that I will focus on. Prospero is without a doubt a control freak. Not only does he control every aspect of his daughters life but he controls the lives of everyone else on the island. Prospero is a man with a plan. I don't think that he left anything up to chance throughout the whole play. He planned his daughter's marriage to Ferdinand as soon as he knew he'd arrived on the island, who does that?

Prospero knew what he wanted to get out of his 'guests.' He wanted his dukedom back and when the king offered it, Prospero was quick to take it. Honestly, I believe that the king only gave the dukedom back to Prospero because he wanted to get off the island and he was pretty much stuck there until Prospero decided otherwise. As far as Prospero's giving up of his magic goes, I see it as a bargaining tool. He is trying to prove that he has changed and is more worthy of the dukedom. Whether he is trying to prove is to himself or the king, I cannot say. In a way I think that Prospero has realized that he does not need his magic, though that is also speculation.  Prospero is an interesting character and one whose motives could continually be analyzed. I apologize for the short post this week, I hope you enjoyed my ramblings.

3 comments:

  1. Drunk Caliban made me laugh, too. i can't believe how fast he got drunk. it was one line he was sober and the next line he is drunk. Weak. I agree that Prospero is a control freak. after Monday's class i can now see how some people think he was fully prepared to forgive all of the people on the island for their wrongs; but only after he had his way and only on his time. I still don't understand how he so easily gives away Miranda to Ferdinand for marriage. he does say that if he sleeps with her before the actual ceremony he will be pretty much cursed. but I still can't understand it. He knew what he wanted and knew that it had to be his way or the high way. He wanted this all to happen, but he at the same time didn't want anyone to become hurt. that is some guy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the point about nobody getting hurt, that Grant made, is interesting and noteworthy. Prospero had the ability to really hurt any of these people that bothered him, and didn't. I feel like that says something about his character, and I wonder if this version of Prospero is the same that landed on the island so many years before: would he have chosen not to hurt these people? What point would he have come to this conclusion of peaceful resolution?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree for sure that Prospero is a control freak. I think he gave up his powers as a bargaining tool as well. I can see him doing it to prove himself, but also for the king. As someone mentioned in class, it is him getting in touch with his human side. But he could be proving it to is a secret.

    ReplyDelete