Sunday, October 4, 2015

Two Faced and Belief Seller


Finally, I nice amount of pages to read. The past few readings have had some interesting parts, but this chapter is one of my favorite chapters so far. The last few readings have had parts that were very disturbing but (sorry not sorry) very fun to read such as infanticide and filicide, devil’s piss in a vase, anus kissing, and eating of infants. These readings have been fun, but chapter 7 has more of the type of flow I like when reading.
                The part that I liked the best in chapter 7 was Strix. This type of reading is what I was hoping for in this class. This type of reading holds my attention better when reading and I can therefore remember and comprehend more of what I read. The part that fascinated me the most about this reading was how fast Apistius changed his mind about the existence of witches. It seriously feels like he in one second denies the existence of witches and in the next he believes in them wholly. I also laughed at the very end when he says, “And because I have changed the habit of my mind, from here on I wish also to change my name.” If someone said that to me I would be like, “Okay dude, you have been named X. for your whole life up to this moment but if you want to be called a new name on a whim, who am I to stop you?”
I also enjoyed the first reading, A Terrible Case of Sorcery in Orléans. This reading, too, was the type I enjoy. This reading is one that I had to read twice to fully comprehend, but I enjoyed it both times. The exciting part about this reading came from the fact that the entire family had something to do with witchcraft. The other aspect of this reading I liked is the fact that this may be the first instance of an undercover person I have read about during this time period. The monk acted as a double agent in this story and may be the first person to be one.


This reading was a nice short one that I really enjoyed. Can’t wait until we get into Harry Potter and Shakespeare 

1 comment:

  1. For the most part I agree with you. I found chapter 7 to be the most interesting chapter. The readings in it were easy to follow but still had moments that would stop the reader and make them think. Having the chapter shorter than the rest also made the readings easier and you could pay more attention to detail instead of skimming. As for me, the reading that I liked the most and found the most interesting was Johann Geiler von Kaysersberg: Die Emeis. That reading showed the biggest transition in how witch craft was viewed in my opinion. That was the reading that talked about if the person could be saved they should be given a lesser punishment. It also talked about that the people were given a chance to repent rather than automatically being guilty.

    ReplyDelete