Sunday, October 25, 2015

Merlin's character: to be or not to be?

I have never been a Merlin fan. While my preconceived notions of him before this class where the obvious old wizard who helped King Arthur, I still didn’t like him. He wasn’t exciting to me. His adventures weren’t spectacular. I see him as some prophet who gained magic over the years who uses it for his own advantage and that of his close friends. I know, I’m being a negative Nellie about Merlin when everyone else probably likes him.


 Even though I may not like Merlin as a person, I did enjoy reading the Prose Merlin. Being rooted in creative writing fashion, it was easier and entertaining to read. I laugh when I imagine Merlin as a year old baby talking to his mother and her dropping him out of sheer bewilderment. That would seriously freak me out too if my child suddenly started spouting out wisdom like Plato. Demon child anyone?

However, out of all the tales associated with Merlin, the one that bothers me the most is Uther Pendragon’s perusal of Ygerne. It is a classic case of someone wanting something they can’t have. I feel the feminist rising in me with this because they treat Ygerne as if she were property to be owned. I realize it was the norm for men to consider women as possessions back then, but I still rage against it. I’m proud of Ygerne for standing up for herself and evading the kings advances. The man just would not give up even when he knew she loved her husband dearly and would never betray him in such a manner.

When Urfin goes to speak to Ygerne about becoming the king’s lover, I let out a cry of indignation at what he says to her. Urfin says, “My lady, it would be an honor to die for my lord. But what lady as ever before refused to accept the king as her lover! And he does love you more than anyone else. Surely, you are fooling?” (Rosenberg 332). Excuse me? Well then, by all means, die for your lustful greedy king who can’t keep it in his pants. I’d rather keep my loving husband than betray him for one night with the king. I am glad Ygerne does not find this to be a compliment, but stands by her virtue and holds fast.

Yet, sadly, Ygerne does fall to the king’s advances by way of Merlin’s trickery. I cannot decide if Merlin did this for his own gains or for the gains of his country. Are they the same? Why would he allow such adultery? I would say the devil side of him tipped the scale against God in this instance. However, without the conception of Arthur, God may not have blessed the kingdom when Arthur comes to power.  Once again, the balance between good and evil rears its head. 


                                             (And suddenly Gandalf had a twin brother....) 

2 comments:

  1. Kassy, don't worry I am totally with you! I have no prior experience with Merlin--like literally nothing, I am not entirely sure I had even heard anything more than his name once or twice in my life *hides* So I am totally with you there. But I agree, Prose Merlin helped because the imagery was awesome and I could totally get behind a little hairy baby being all kinds of strange and chatty and bossy.

    Someone (I dont remember who) mentioned in class about Merlin reminding them of Dr. Faustus, and I totally see that, especially in regards to what you were saying about using magic to a persons personal advantage and good and evil being kinda put against one another. You would sort of hope that Merlin choosing God in the beginning would mean that he would be the good guy, and super virtuous, but clearly... he is sorta selfish and not exactly the guy i want to get behind.

    ReplyDelete
  2. All I knew of Merlin before this class was that he was the strange wizard from Disney's Sword in the Stone. I knew that he helped out King Arthur but nothing other than that. I had never read any of the King Arthur stories and honestly did not associate much with the name Merlin. I did enjoy the Prose Merlin more than the other Merlin story we had read.

    To go off of Nicole's point, I believe that I may have mentioned Dr. Faustus in class, can't quite remember through. However, I stand by my statement or whoever mentioned it that Merlin is similar to Dr. Faustus in that he has not fully committed to either the side of good or that of evil.

    ReplyDelete