Tuesday, October 13, 2015

God is everything and the world is a hazel nut



This week's reading was a bit difficult. I do appreciate the summary pdf.
So there was a lot going on during the time of Julian of Norwich. You have the war, the plague crop failure etc. I feel that a lot of this made way for the hope that Juliana was offering. I'm not 100 percent convinced of these visions or believe them to be true. It's something I have to see kind of thing. Maybe the skepticism is what is preventing me from having spiritual bliss. As Juliana mentions it is our folly that is the cause of our weakness. I kind of like the image of God showing our world is just the size of a walnut. Small and feeble but a creation of God none the less. She couldn't have been making this up. The concept of worlds, or galaxies was way beyond this time.

*your thoughts on the photo?* (God all things, seen as fatherly, and motherly. Showing Juliana the world" ...
Whether or not I believe this, her visions or description of her messages from God are pretty convincing to say the least. Here, she spreads out a strong gospel so to speak. God is everything, the maker, the lover, and keeper. God is wise and the ground the our souls stand on. Juliana believers that she received these visions to teach humanity to help our souls by cleaving to God and all his goodness. She goes further to explain that even with all the suffering one will find peace and enjoy God. I'm sure this definitely turned more people to God especially with what was going on.

Now what I really want to point out is how she calls God "mother" and in extension Jesus "mother". The beginning of feminism, probably not. She delicately explains how God, in extension Jesus, is the almighty father and the all kind and wise mother. She talks about God is "the mother of all life." God shows the properties of a mother such as "kind love, wisdom, and knowing." I would be scared back then to make such a claim as to feminism God during a time of male egocentric dominance. But you can see how she carefully tied it all together explaining that God is everything and creator of all things. So of course God would have such qualities like wisdom and kindness that is a resemblance of motherly love. Juliana was held a great valued female figure. Her words really do seem to speak of holiness and purity. She seems genuine. I could see myself believing her words, although the idea of visions still gives me pause.


1 comment:

  1. I agree that the readings for Julian were a bit difficult. I also found them to be boring and not as interesting as Hildegard’s. I remember learning about these types of women, anchoresses, in high school religion class. To this day, I don’t know whether to believe they actually had visions or were just slightly delusional. Personally, if I was placed in a small cubicle to live, I would’ve gone crazy and seen visions too. I give these women serious kudos for devoting themselves to God as they did. I was surprised to see Julian mention Jesus as a mother figure and not simply a father. The church has always taught God is the father, etc. It’s a rather interesting twist that I wish someone would’ve developed more.

    ReplyDelete