Sunday, September 20, 2015

When the stuffing runs out, pass the child casserole please!

When I began reading chapters 4 and 5 for Monday (and my presentation), I kept wondering, what is with the obsession of witches killing babies? I mean, seriously. Why? Apparently, in order to be qualified as a witch you need to kill children and consume their flesh. Satan’s orders! I’m sure that is what every witch out there loves to eat, a nice boiled kid with some garlic and onions, a side of baked potato and possibly some kale to keep things healthy. Everyone loves kale. It’s a nutritious and leafy food. Yum yum in the tum tum. Now I’ve gone off tangent…


Anyways, in several of the excerpts including Bernardino of Siena, Johannes Nider, Claude Tholosan, and Nicholas Jacquier, the action of infanticide are described. While we will discuss the issue of infanticide during my group’s presentation on Monday, I figure I’d touch upon some of it now. I find it fascinating how the writers carry the idea that witches set out to kill children in order to create balms/salves to kill people. Wouldn’t it be just as easy for them to slip some nightshade berries into their pie?

The psyche behind blaming witches for the deaths may be resulting from the high child mortality rates. People wanted to blame ‘witches’ for killing their child instead of blaming natural causes or themselves. They latched onto the witch hysteria and automatically used them to disguise their anger towards God for taking their child. It probably felt like a sin for people to even consider blaming God for their misfortunes. After all, he was the being they feared, admired and worshiped to help guide them through the tough times.

One of my favorite lines from Johannes Nider is, “We then remove them secretly from their graves and cook them in a cauldron until their flesh, cooked and separated from the bones, is made into a powerful liquid” (157). The detail paid into how the witches prepare the children is slightly disturbing. While Johannes is recounting what a captured and accused witch told him, it remains an interesting segment of thought. Even the accused corroborated with this idea of witches devouring children.


 Another rather humorous action the followers of Satan needed to do was kiss the ass of the devil (160) or drink his urine (164). These actions would show their obedience to Satan and their utter disrespect and hatred of the Christian religion. I have to admit I laughed when I read this because of the absurdity behind it. Yet, people during the time probably felt this was a very real action committed by the devil’s followers. I mean, if they ate children and participated in orgies, they must also willingly kiss the ass of the devil. 

2 comments:

  1. I love how you said people latched on to the hysteria of blaming witches. I think this is so true. Great 1st pic by the way. Local children nice! I think this hysteria was twisted and knotted that even the accused believed it true. The idea behind children and their deaths by witches became the norm cause. What if in the supposed witch community that such a tale of killing children went from idea to reality because might as well if you are gonna get accused of it right. Idk. I think it's all just a mass hysteria and the fact that thousands of people were burned at the stake really saddens me. How many were actually witches if they did exist, probably a small increment. Sigh. Humanity.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I find that Nider quote particularly interesting, it raises all kinds of fun questions. Is Nider lying to strengthen his argument, or did someone actually tell him that? If an accused witch really did tell say that, how much duress was she under? Was her answer fed to her as part of a question or did she make it up to appease her torturers? Or, less likely, did she actually believe in this herself? All of these questions seem absurd now, but this must have all seemed so logical at the time.

    ReplyDelete