Sunday, September 20, 2015

Running With the Devil

In chapters four and five we learn all about what witches do and how they should be punished and dealt with. We see that there similar accounts across Europe and by different people that tell of the acts of witches and how they become involved with the devil. What we don’t learn about from these chapters is how these people get their knowledge about witches. When I read I wonder if they see things with their own eyes or simply make it all up. Perhaps even these people have dabbled in sorcery themselves. I believe that general concepts of witchcraft became accepted and spread throughout Europe which is how we would have similar writings from different places. I think that at this time people really needed something to believe in since they couldn’t really explain anything that happened. I think it easier to live when you think you’re in control. For these people being in control meant being a good Christian and pleasing God and killing anyone who didn’t follow along. 



When I was reading chapter five I found it interesting how witches at that time in history were a bit different then how we think of them as now. When I think about witches I start picturing a women in a cottage mixing potions in a cauldron and riding on broomstick. The riding on the broom part is one idea that has survived from the Middle Ages, but the “diabolical” witches of this time were not only conjurers of magic, but also deviants in society in almost all aspects. In this chapter it talks about the witches taking place in orgies, partying with the devil, killing babies, creating storms, and making ointments and powders. It never really occurred to me that witches were considered evil at this time because they were interacting with devil not just because they were using magic. I wondered whether magic would have been acceptable at this time if they were no ties to the devil and if the magic was only being used for good. This chapter really changed my perspective on witches and I found it really fascinating. 

2 comments:

  1. Lisa, I agree with what you said about chapter four. I think that most people who were accused of being witches had little to no actual evidence against them for those charges, it was mostly just based on what people said about the person being accused and nothing more. Also you made a good point about "Perhaps even these people have dabbled in sorcery themselves", how could a person accuse someone of witchcraft without knowing a little bit about the rituals themselves? As for chapter 5 I personally don't think magic being used for good would have been excepted either because that implies people have gone for some other form of aid besides asking God. It would be interesting to see if people that used magic for good would be tried as witches but they would still be considered heretics.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the fact that you put in your own ideas about witches in this blog post. I also agree with you and Vince about chapter four. People being accused back then had a hard time convincing people they were innocent. it goes along with the expression, "their name is mud." Also, I loved that you gave personal thoughts about what goes through your head while reading.

    ReplyDelete