Sunday, August 30, 2015

What a (K)night

Sir Gawain and the Green Knight is written in Middle English. I have some experience with Middle English through the reading of the Canterbury Tales last year. I read through the excerpt twice. The first time, I decided to challenge myself and I only read the original version. I struggled with it but after the first paragraph it got easier. The Middle English started to come back to me and I had fun working on my pronunciation. I read through it a second time I read the translation on the right side of the page. I loved reading Sir Gawain and the Green Knight. I can't help but compare it to what I read of the Canterbury Tales though. I have to admit that I like Sir Gawain and the Green Knight better than what I read of the Canterbury Tales. I have not read Le Morte D'Arthur but it's on my list of things to read in the near future. I like many people do know the story line though. I was absolutely fascinated by the fact that Sir Gawain and the Green Knight  it takes place in Camelot. Camelot is such a fascinating setting. One that has been used over and over again. I'm excited to see what else we uncover together throughout the rest of the semester.

As I was writing this post this movie came to my mind and I couldn't help but include a picture of it in my post.

2 comments:

  1. hmm, I think something went wrong with your photo. Try to edit your post and add it again. Don't copy and paste - use the wee photo button to insert it into your post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm impressed that you can read Middle English. I tried reading some of it and I couldn't understand a thing. Though I guess it IS just another language, as confusing as it may seem.

    I'm not sure if I've seen that movie before. It certainly seems familiar but I can't quite remember anything about it.

    ReplyDelete