Sunday, August 30, 2015

Now That's What I Call Magic

Wow, what a great reading to start off the blog. Sir Gawain and the Green Knight is one of my favorite readings that I have had in any of my courses so far in college. The description of the Green Knight is always fun to read. The fact that this Knight is not only wearing green on his entire body, but his hair and beard are green as well makes this an interesting story right off the bat. The description of the Knight, however, is not the most interesting part of the reading to me. The most interesting part is the fact that he is not only able to live after he is decapitated, but talk and ride off on a horse afterwards. This to me is an excellent example of what magic and mysticism is. This is my fifth time reading this part of Sir Gawain and the Green Knight, but it still amazes me that this knight is able to ride off into the sunset with his head in his hands.
                                                    
King Arthur wishes to have a special event/moment to occur before every meal and that is exactly what he got from this most peculiar knight.
                The Canon’s Assistant’s Tale was also a good reading to start off with in the class. In many classes, we have to read textbooks for exams and papers and other work, so to have readings like these two are a nice break from it all. The Canon’s Assistant’s Tale was an interesting reading; it had trickery, pseudo-magic, and excitement all in few number of pages. The tale is also from a perspective other than the person who had the misfortune themselves. This gave a more appealing look, in my opinion, into the situation.
                Near the end of the reading, I put myself into the position of the priest. I caught myself thinking that if that happened to me I might not have realized that I had been played; I would probably think that I had made an error in the process of making the silver, it would not occur to me (at least not initially) that I had been made a fool of. Please tell me someone else would think this way.
                This reading helped to reinforce my idea of alchemy during this time period. I think of people in this time period as very obsessed with the idea of making gold (or in this case silver) out of other elements. This story shows just that, a priest being so amazed in the “making “of silver that he is willing to hand over his money to obtain the powder to do it himself.
                I loved these readings and I hope everyone else did as well. Please let me know how you feel about them.

4 comments:

  1. I thought the exact same thing about how the priest must have felt after failing his experiment. After all, the alchemist had already "corrected" him about making the coal bed, so it should already be set in his mind that if something goes wrong it's because of an amateur mistake. Although I thought the Canon's Apprentice was from the perspective of someone who was taken advantage of? His entire purpose is to ward people away from falling victim to the allure of alchemy, lest they lose their livelihoods, after all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you for sharing my thought.i thought it was written in the point of view of someone who heard or saw this instance happening. No? i could be wrong. i should definitely ask in class.

      Delete
  2. The way alchemy is described in The Canon's Assistant's Tale helped me to think of it more as a science than as a type of magic. To outsiders it would seem like magic, but it could just be chemistry or whatnot. This story shows that ignorant people can get taken advantage of.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed, from the perspective of an uneducated person it would most definitely look as some sort of magic. we, however, would see it as a trick with science incorporated into it.

      Delete