Monday, August 31, 2015

Green Dreams Are Made of This….remix with The Corrupt Businessman


 



In a world where giant, green men with very large axes simply stroll into Arthurian courtyards during Michaelmas...but can you imagine if there was more than one Green Knight? That’s a bit scary. This is probably my third time reading this story and this part is probably my second favorite; since I am quite fond of the whole “an honorable end for an honorable man,” so I like the weird ending. But this part always sticks out, because you know, decapitation. Yet even so “that scalp and skull now swung from his fist/…and it opened its eyelids, stared straight ahead/ and spoke this speech…” (SGGK 49). The supernatural way that he simply addresses the court like some headless horseman makes the story really come to life (no pun intended). 



Image result for emerald ring
However one of the most important questions to ask is: Why green? Why not a Blue Knight? Why are this Knight and his horse cantering into the great hall sporting this secondary color? The most common symbol for green is envy and jealousy so would that mean that this mysterious Green Knight is jealous of King Arthur, his court, his followers? So many questions, so little time. The first lines that tell of this unusual pigment in his skin: “Amazement seized their minds/ no soul had ever seen/ a knight of such a kind/ entirely emerald green.” (SGGK 30). There is an intended emphasis on “emerald” since it creates alliteration with “entirely” and with this the knight is put into a noble light since emeralds are jewels which would NOT be associated with a lower born person or even a small-fry knight. My guess is that this honorable green knight heard about all the brave deeds and heroic knights and their love of their king, he got real envious because he lives alone and forgotten in the corner of the world and he comes to the court because he wants to be noticed and talked about like the famous king. 



Image result for alchemy
Also I feel like I should also talk about the other reading we had, “The Canon’s Assistant Tale” which was interesting in how terrible the people in it are. Especially the part where the “rascal canon” swindles a priest with his false alchemy. First of all that priest is way too gullible and a bit corrupt if he is all about making illegal money, probably for himself. And then the swindler, well, I have mixed feelings about him since he is obviously talented about his work and is renown through the town, but also he is a fraud. “That scoundrel canon, whom the devil fetch/ Out of his bosom took a seeming charcoal/ A bit of beech wherein he’d bored a hole/ In which he’d placed an ounce of silver filings…” (CAT 442). Obviously what the fraud canon is doing is horrible, and he is using alchemist pretexts to swindle wealthy, ignorant people who want to believe in magic, and a quick way to more money. Yet, in a way he is just trying to make money and survive, it is his livelihood, and he is good at it. Somehow I saw him more as a corrupt salesman.       

3 comments:

  1. Could you take pity on my aging eyes and up the font size on your post? I think when you copied it, the font shrunk and it is teeny tiny ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post!

    I certainly hope that there would only be one green knight as well - I wouldn't want to face an army of strong, brightly-colored, seemingly immortal giants! Considering your opinion on the color green, especially regarding the use of "emerald" showing nobility - how do you feel about Sir Gawain, a knight, taking on the green knight? Do you think King Arthur himself would have been a better match?

    I too am baffled by just how much the priest is swindled in "The Canon's Assistant Tale." I missed the footnotes the first time around, so I wasn't very impressed when he told of the priest paying £40 for the alchemical powder - but then I saw that today (or at least at the time of publishing) that would be equal to about £4000! As for the swindler himself, I'd definitely say that he's well-educated and good at sleight-of-hand for selling his craft, but I don't know if I agree that "he is obviously talented about his work" - I think at this point selling his craft IS his work, more than the alchemy itself, at that complex a level of fraud.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I have always had a soft spot for Sir Gawain since I was younger because I saw him as the honest reckless knight/ King Arthur's nephew. So he is always having to prove himself more than the other knights because he is family. In the end I think they both made the right choice. I mean it would be terrible if the kingdom collapsed because of the death of King Arthur! Also I think Gawains earnestness really helped out in the end.

      Also though, that is too much money to just be gambling on this secret art! But what I meant as being talented at his work was that he was a very good swindler and theif since I assumed that was how he made a living and that it became like any other job to him. In order to be able to swindle these men you need to have at least a bit of talent or he would have been caught and hauled away!

      Delete